Twice a year, I am undergoing a seasonal wardrobe switch. This is also the busiest time of the year for personal styling and personal shopping services. Here is the reason why:
- With the seasons changing, our body and mind go through a natural cycle of change, too. We have an intrinsic need for purging, cleaning, recreating and rethinking.
- Embrace this need for transformation and implement it in your style game. Here is how I do it:
- I prepare my summer items for putting them away, keeping the more versatile ones that will easily transition into my cold season.
- I then pull my storage bags with my exclusive winter pieces. Great life hack: Ikea storage and garment bags are the best solutions for keeping your clothing off dust.
- Keeping my items away for the season helps me better understand my style identity at the time I am pulling them back. Do I still relate to that particular item, does it still work with my current lifestyle, does it still help me achieve my career goals?
- Pulling a dress that was away for the season and trying it on offers you a different perspective and opens up endless styling opportunities.
- This is the reason I try 90% of the items that come back from storage. Some of them go to consignment or to the donation centre after I realize it will no longer serve me well, no matter how much I would want.
- Both my husband and I are undergoing the same process. Aside from the fact it is a fun weekend activity, we exchange feedback and style advice. A seasonal wardrobe audit is as important for men as it is for women.